1/15/2011

The Sue Chef: Fortification Soup

When it's -8C and the windchill makes it feel more like -21C
and the view out the window looks like this

and only those poor, unfortunate people who got snowshoes for Christmas
feel compelled to be outside,
then that is the time that my thoughts, and those of the creatures around me,
turn to food. From the little nibble notes of the Red Squirrel

to the nutty taste tests by the Blue Jays,


thoughts of food abound.

Perhaps it's a winter thing. A cold thing that makes us yearn for rich, tasty treats, a kitchen redolent with earthy spices, a pot simmering on the stove
and buns in the oven. Pregnant pause here. 
Some spicy cooking indeed!
Which is why I'm thrilled with the ability to browse through papers from all over the world, and discover a recipe in the Los Angeles Times that begs to be tested and tasted. A recipe for a soup that a couple had at Bewley's on Grafton Street in Dublin. I've actually been there! And they thought the soup was so exceptional that they asked the food writer at the LA Times to get it for them.
And lo and behold, it's now simmering on my stove too.
I love that about today's technology!
This soup is chock full of vegetables: onions, potatoes, leeks, tomatos,fennel, carrots,  and white kidney beans...



My kitchen smells like a place to linger.
To sit and share a bowl of soup,
 and a warm cheese scone.
I'll put another log on the fire, and we can enjoy this cold winter's day -
where at least for this hour, and in this place, all is right with the world. 


Fortifying the soul on a Saturday afternoon.

10 comments:

nomore said...

As same temperatures -8~ -10C in here too but the snowys differant...Beautiful some Romantic pictures Great one !

Snail said...

Far too warm here at the moment for cooking, but your soup and scones look absolutely delicious!

Are the squirrels just messy eaters or do they deliberately discard the apple skin?

faye said...

WOW... love all the photos..
and the soup and scones look simply delicious.. I am so partial to
food photography and yours are great.

I know you have already shipped some of those scones..yesss??

Susan Ellis said...

Snail - Not sure if the squirrels are intentionally not eating the skins, or just prefer the juicier pulp. I often leave out fruit for them, so they're not going too hungry or needing to eat everything remotely edible.
Faye -I'll hand deliver the scones to Florida sunshine!

Red said...

Hello Susan,
This is my first comment on your blog.
I like how you got to the soup part of your post. I can even smell this soup on your post.

DUTA said...

I'm a great lover of soup, especially one full with vegetables.

Your soup looks very 'inviting'. So do your warm cheese scones.
Hot/warm food is a fine topic for winter days. Thank you.

Dave said...

...I have to stop reading your blog when I'm hungry...ohhhh.....

Lori Skoog said...

You've got the right idea. I'll be right over....good food, a nice fire. That's what makes it possible to get through the winter.

FAB said...

Soup and cheese scones ... yummy and just the ticket for a grey, damp day over here.

steviewren said...

Mmmmmm....sounds good to me.